WEISSMAN DESIGNS FOR DANCE
Weissman is a family-owned company specializing in the design and manufacturing of dancewear and costumes for recitals and performances. Weissman employs hundreds of people at its headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri, and produces much of its inventory at its adjoining factory. Weissman sells wholesale to businesses, and also direct to consumers under Dancewear Solutions. House brands include Weissman costumes and Balera dancewear. Its products are sold domestically and around the globe.
Founded over 60 years ago by Rose and Julius Weissman, Weissman is an industry leader in design quality, technology and customer relations. Its network of dance professionals—including studio owners, dance teachers, students, parents, coaches and career dancers—is vast, loyal and continues to grow.
Weissman is dedicated to providing the best quality costumes at the best prices, but its commitment to care doesn’t stop there. Employees enjoy a creative work environment that fosters interaction and innovation. Thanks to an open floor plan and on-site production facility and distribution center, every team—from planning to marketing—can take part in the creation of our one-of-a-kind designs. We are also devoted to our local dance community, sponsoring National Dance Week in St. Louis every year, as well as a host of other local and national non-profits.
Ready to join the Weissman team—one of the world’s most respected names in the dance industry? View our current job opportunities below, and apply now!
Job Description: Design Internship: Summer 2023
Our Weissman Summer Internship is a 10 week program based in our St. Louis office. Participants of our intern program will gain valuable hands-on experience to include, but not limited to, industry training, cross-functional departmental exposure, and a final project presentation at the end of the summer.
Dates: May 29, 2023 - August 4th, 2023 (10 Weeks, Paid Internship)
Application Deadline: March 17th, 2023
● Full-time, paid internship
● Potential eligibility for full-time position upon completion of degree
● Compile and present a summer project to company leaders
● Real world experience within the fashion industry
● One-on-one partnership from a mentor who wants to see you succeed
● Orientation to introduce you to the company, St. Louis, and your fellow interns
● Attend professional seminars designed to enhance your development
● Exposure to our leadership team through our Leadership Luncheon
● Outside of the office, networking activities throughout St. Louis
Position Summary: Weissman Intern is responsible for providing administrative assistance and organizational support to the corresponding department. Interns are assigned a mentor within the department to collaborate with throughout the program. Interns have a primary focus on completing a project with partners from cross-functional teams. At the end of the summer, the final project will be presented to the leadership team. After successful completion of the internship, there is an opportunity to become eligible for full-time employment.
Design Intern Responsibilities:
Design Project: Works closely with a Design Mentor to design costume or dancewear garments for our line that reflects the Weissman brand. Designs will be constructed, fit, and photographed for the final presentation. Upon successful completion, styles are eligible for consideration of being adopted into our final line.
Technical Assistance: Complete technical flats, sketch revisions, and color updates as support for Design team members utilizing programs such as Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. Participate in the fit process by attending prototype fittings with Design Mentor and Product Integrity partners.
Trend and Market Research: Conduct research projects to identify new dancewear trends, fabrics, accessories, and techniques. Gain knowledge about the Weissman customer, brands, and competitive landscape.
Photoshoot Assistance: Experience a professional photoshoot by working with our Marketing Photo Styling team while on set. Assist the Styling team by organizing merchandise, dressing models, and prepping garments and accessories to ensure all items are photo ready.
Managing Timelines: Meet all internal design and internship curriculum deadlines. Present final design project at conclusion of internship with cross-functional partners.
Skills & Expertise:
● Highly Creative and Artistic: Possesses creative ideas about fashion, strong sense of style, andoriginates innovative designs.
● Strong Computer Skills: Advanced design ability using technology such as Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop; 3D software experience is a plus.
● Knowledge of Texture, Color, and Fabric: Basic understanding of fabric qualities, types of various textures, and strong eye for color and print.
● Interest in Fashion Trends: Knowledge and enthusiasm about current fashion trends in relation to dancewear. Constantly looking for the latest and greatest customer appropriate trends to stay competitive.
● Strong Visual Skills: Creative formatting skills for Design driven presentations and trend recaps.
● Detail Oriented: Displays high organizational skills in order to balance multiple projects. Possesses meticulous attention to detail.
● Team Player: Works well in a collaborative team environment where diverse ideas and points of view add value. An active contributor amongst team members.
● Flexibility: Ability to work in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment. Flexible and adaptable to change; possess a strong work ethic as well as the ability to multitask, problem solve, and generate new ideas.
● Excellent Communication Skills: Strong verbal and written communication skills. Able to communicate with colleagues with respectful behavior and a positive attitude.
● Must currently be enrolled in a college or university; sophomore year or above.
● Must be working towards a degree in Fashion/Apparel Design, Graphic Design or a related field.
● Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and Google Suite programs. Experience with Optitiex or Clo 3D software is a plus.
● Ability to relocate to St. Louis, Missouri for the summer.
● Knowledge of dance or activewear is a plus.
● Available to participate in the full 10 week internship program. Work Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30am-5pm.
● Eligible to work in the US without restrictions.
● Please submit your cover letter along with your resume to be considered for this role.
● Portfolio links and additional attachments are a plus.
No calls please.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org